Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Teachings From the Home

While Dad was out spreading the gospel for this church, Mom was at home teaching all of us school.  My parents sheltered us from what could have been some hard times, and gave us the privileged to be together in unity and learn from home.  My mom was a super hero to take on all 5 kids, and teach us the life skills we needed and had fun doing it.

During this time in my life the craze was the Cabbage Patch Doll.  We all know how big of a deal these dolls were, parents were pushing and hitting each other to be able to bring one home to their child.  

Our family was raised knowing we had everything we needed, and if it was meant to be then it would find a way.  So, being the talented seamstress my mother was, she took us girls to the craft store.  We bought a cabbage patch doll pattern, some skin colored material, movable are and leg things, fake hair, and iron on eyes, and set home to make our own.


We then took our sewing abilities to a new level.  I was probably 9 and my youngest sister was around five.  With guidance from Mom, we cut, sewed, ironed, and stuffed our cute new babies.  We even gave them cute little belly buttons that stuck out.  They were our pride and joy.  I believe we all still have them to this day.

After about 3 years and moving again, my parents were comfortable with us going back into public school.  I would not change this time in my life.  Not only did we learn the curriculum that was given to us, but we learned an important life skill, to get along with our family.  My sisters and brothers were very close then, and still are.   Plus, we can follow a pattern and make our own doll clothes now.  Usually we still call on mom, but it is nice having her there to continue to teach us and be our role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment