Thursday, June 13, 2013

Changes

After joining this church, our family stopped participating in a few holidays.  Halloween being one of them.  I have pictures of me as a little kid dressed up for Halloween, but as far back as I can actually remember, our family did not participate in this "evil" holiday.

I recall our family turning off all lights upstairs, and having games, good snacks, and lots of fun in our basement.   I remember how fun it was to bob for apples, and how my mom taught us to push the apple to the bottom of the bowl to get a good grip on it so we could pull it out faster.  The bowl was huge, and most our heads went under water, but it was fun.  My mom sure knew how to throw a good, memorable party, and always made the best snacks and food.

Years later when I was in junior high school,  my mom and dad were out of town for something.  Me and my 3 siblings did our best at dressing up in clothes we had in our home so we could go trick or treating.  We were so excited to get out and collect candy at neighbor's homes.  We took pillow cases to fill and went out and had a blast.

Clearly we were too old to be trick or treating, but people were nice and still gave us candy.  That was my last and first memory of trick or treating as a kid.

Today I have little kids and I am now living through their eyes in many ways.  We have fun trick or treating together, but their favorite part is answering the door and giving out the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment