Sunday, June 16, 2013

Amazing Father

Today is Fathers Day and I wish my dad were still here so I could hug and kiss him and have him hold me like a baby, like I asked him to do so many times during my childhood, or have him tuck me in at night and tell me stories of when he was little, or rub my face with his soft, gentle hands.

I miss my dad.  My dad who told amazing stories, held me gently, loved his babies, hard worker, good at everything he touched, and a loving husband to my beautiful mom.  We lost our dad to Cancer when I was 15 years old.  Life changed for all of us.  

I remember walking into the kitchen where my mom and dad were cooking dinner and my mom was all teary eyed.  I asked what was wrong, and she made a joke and said my dad made her cry, then she laughed, because he was cutting up the onions.  They hugged and kissed, and I felt the love between them.  My parents loved each other a lot.  They never fought, and if they did it was never in front of us kids.  I never saw any tension, just love.

Dad was always there to help with school projects, draw pictures, of us, draw rings on our fingers with his colored felt pens.  We had diamonds, or heart rings, and felt special that  we always got one on one attention from him.

I dedicate the song, Daddy's Hands, by Holly Dunn.  I listen to it often and tear up. My kids always sing it with me and then think they can ask me what's wrong.  Why would they think I can talk with my throat all tight and tears in my eyes.  

Happy Fathers Day Dad, you were a great role model and I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment